This recipe was inspired by my love for mangoes and Mexican food. I personally prefer ataulfos mangos, but any variety will do, as long as they’re ripe! If your mangos or avocados are not ripe yet, you can accelerate the ripening process by placing them in a brown paper bag with a banana for 24 hours. Not a fan of beans? No problem, you can swap out the black beans for grilled fish, such as sole, halibut or tilapia, or grilled tofu. Tacos are all about the toppings anyway!
Black Bean Tacos
- 1 can black beans, no added salt
- 1 package of small whole wheat or corn tortillas
- 1/2 a sliced red onion (cut onion in half, place cut side down and thinly slice to make half circles)
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- sea salt and pepper
- 1 red pepper or yellow pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese, mozzarella, or crumbled feta
- 1 ripe avocado
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1 diced ripe mango
- 1 cup diced cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 cup diced cilantro
- 1/4-1/2 diced jalapeño (optional, for added heat)
- Squeeze of fresh lime juice (1/4 of a lime, squeezed)
- Pinch of sea salt
- Heat oven to 400 F.
- Prepare mango salsa. Toss all ingredients in a bowl and set aside. You can also prepare the salsa a day ahead and keep in the fridge.
- Toss peppers with 1 tbsp canola oil, salt and pepper. Place a on baking sheet and bake for 15-20 minutes, tossing half way through. (I like to roast my peppers for more flavour, but you can also stir fry them.
- Cook onions over medium heat until golden-brown. Add garlic when onions are almost cooked. Cook for a few minutes more. Add chilli powder and cumin, cook for 1 minute. Remove onions from pan, set aside.
- Add mushrooms to the same pan and cook until browned.
- When the mushrooms and peppers are cooked, add the onions and peppers into the same pan with the mushrooms, stir and remove from heat.
- Place shredded cheese on top of tortillas and pop them in the oven for a few minutes to warm the tortillas and melt the cheese.
- Top your warm tortillas with the cooked veggies, avocado, and mango salsa.
- Serve with more freshly chopped cilantro and a wedge of lime. Bon app!
One thought on “Black Bean Tacos with Mango Salsa”