Every summer, for as long as I can remember, my Grandma has been making strawberry and raspberry freezer jam with local berries. I love her jam so much that I refuse to buy store bought jam because I’m always disappointed.
This year I asked my Grandma to show me how she makes freezer jam, and I was shocked by how quick and easy it is! Freezer jam does not require any cooking or canning – just ripe berries, sugar and pectin. The advantage of this recipe is that it’s lower in sugar, compared to traditional jam recipes.
- 4 cups of crushed local strawberries
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 package of Barnardin freezer jam pectin
- Wash strawberries and remove stems.
- Place strawberries in a pot, and crush with a potato masher.
- In a large bowl, mix sugar and pectin.
- Add crushed strawberries to the sugar and pectin mixture.
- Stir for 3 minutes (or follow directions on the pectin package). I followed the Barnardin pectin package directions.
- Spoon jam into jars (makes roughly 5x 250 ml jars of jam).
- Let jam set for about 30 minutes.
- Jam will keep for 3 weeks in the fridge. Place the rest in the freezer.